Saturday, March 5, 2011

Truth #2: The work is just (if not more) important than the results.

In the movie, Life as a House, George Monroe (played by Kevin Kline) is diagnosed with terminal cancer. Without anyone's knowledge of his illness, he takes custody of his son, Sam (played by Hayden Christensen) for the summer. Sam is a rebellious, unenthusiastic, cynical young man and bitter and angry with his father. In hopes to repair their relationship, he recruits him to help finish building his dream house. Throughout the summer George and Sam slowly repair their relationship. At one point George shares with Sam about his own father, an alcoholic, abusive man, who killed George's mom and injured a young girl while driving drunk. Before finishing the house, George dies. In honor of his father, Sam, finishes the house and gives it away to the injured young girl now grown up with two kids of her own.

This story beautifully displays the very thing I'm learning right now. The work is just (if not more) important than the results. As I've been putting in all these hours of workouts and being mindful of what I eat and just everything involved in this journey, I have been thinking a lot about results....seeing the fruition of all my hard work. And really, this has been a huge theme in my life this past year. This month marks a year since I graduated from Fuller Theological Seminary. Since then I have been eagerly awaiting a fulfilling job, a title, a meaningful purpose for my life. I have struggled with finding purpose in the everyday life. I want so much to make a mark. To do something worthwhile. To have a job or title that reflects my education, my "status," my thousands of borrowed dollars that keep my husband and I from living comfortably. I want to be recognized, known, appreciated, admired. I want to see the fruition of all my hard work.


While watching Life as a House, the viewer is rooting for George to finish this house he's been working on on and off for decades. It's his dream house. He picked the exact spot with a beautiful view of the ocean. He designed it, selected all the materials, and started building it with his own two hands. This is his life's work. So much sweat and tears. He finally sets out to finish it...but he dies just a few short months, maybe weeks before its completed.

Abraham did not receive the Promise land, his offspring did. David did not build the temple, his son did. Paul did not experience Jesus’ return, even though he preached it and believed he would. More recently, Martin Luther King Jr. did not experience the fruition of his work and desire for civil unity, however his offspring and generations passed have. Why does God work like this? What does this mean for my life? How does this affect the work I do? My purpose?

A verse comes to mind...

...he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ. -Philippians 1:6

We hear this and think - Ok, there is hope. One day I'll get that job. One day my relationship will be mended. One day I'll be in better shape. Be recognized. Be able to trust more. Fear less. Be free of disease or depression. See my friend come to know the Lord. And so on and so on. God has begun this thing in me so I will see the results I'm hoping for. But that's not really what it says and it's definitely not we see throughout Scripture. I know without a doubt God's work in Paul transformed Paul. And God did complete his work in Paul. But the work God was doing through Paul wasn't complete. And Paul didn't see the completion...none of us have. The work God began in Paul continued after Paul. God is still using that work today in my life...and millions of others past, present, and future. And he will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ! It was the work that God did in Paul that transformed Paul, not results. It was the work of George and Sam that transformed them, not results. Put it another way - the transformation IS the results, not a house. In the end it was just a house. Wood, nails, and cement. Sam even gave the house away! The work was never about building the house, it was about building a relationship, a life worthwhile.


So, on my journey, both with my fitness track and my vocational track and everything in between, I'm learning to focus less on the results I desire so much and more on the work. The workouts and healthy eating will produce weightloss results. I've already seen them! But also, how is this work transforming me in other ways? What am I gaining that is so much more valuable than a trimmer waist? Discipline. Determination. Confidence. Joy. I'm learning to love myself and to more fully receive God's love.


*This is the 2nd in a series called Truth for Movers. It is a weekly series dedicated to discussing biblical truths that will hopefully provide encouragement for our journey and insight into our human struggle with body image. To find more posts in this series click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment