Thursday, July 28, 2011

my mind is a house

Someone took a picture of me today and when I had the chance to see the photo...embarrassment swept over me and I just wanted to hide. The confidence I have been feeling lately disappeared and it was replaced with defeat. Just one little picture. I let that one little picture rob me. Rob me of confidence, joy, perseverance, a sense of accomplishment, contentment.

Here's the thing... My mind is like a house. And there's this robber that comes to my door often. He isn't like most robbers...this robber likes to knock on the door. He knocks on the door and if I open it, even just a crack, if I just let him in the doorway....it's over. He invades every room. I know he's coming and I know what he's capable of but I still let him in. This robber's name is Anxiety, Fear, Discontent, Defeat.

So here's the bad news...I live in this fallen, broken world and there are robbers. And the robber is always gonna come knockin'.

The good news...I also live in this beautiful world that's being restored and redeemed. And what's even cooler is that God's not asking me to just sit back and watch him restore it...he's invited me to join Him. Wow - talk about empowerment. I have the opportunity to be courageous in fearful moments, to experience joy in the midst of defeat and discontent, to feel freedom in the pit of anxiety. This is the road to restoration.

The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. Romans 8:6

No comments:

Post a Comment