Thursday, April 7, 2011

chasing butterflies

I'm spending the week in Tennessee with my sister and her fam. Yesterday my nephew and I went out into the field adjacent to my sister's house and chased butterflies. There were about 3 or 4 of them. We'd go after one, lose track of it, but find another and start chasing it. Then we'd lose it and go after another. Then another. We were basically running in circles. And at the end we didn't catch one. None. But what was even better than catching a butterfly was the memory we made. We could not stop laughing. It was the best laugh I've had in awhile and was one of the most fun things I've done with Asher. (And I probably burned quite a few calories along the way!)

Since I've been here I haven't had my usual workout. I've been fairly active riding bikes, playing ball, jumping the trampoline and chasing butterflies, BUT I am a checklist person. When I'm unable to log a certain amount of time and don't have an idea of how many calories I burned, I start to feel a bit off track or somewhat defeated. But I'm learning (and have been my whole life) to let go. Again (like I've shared before), it's about the journey, the process. Not about a number or list. It's about staying active, enjoying life, and being healthy. It's about chasing uncatchable butterflies. Asher and I didn't chase them to add to a collection, or in hopes to find a new species, or to even keep one. We did because it was fun! Because it was a beautiful Spring day. And because Asher loves anything insect related. So, the moral is let go and enjoy the journey. You will burn out and fail indeed if you make it about a checklist. Take a day off from the elliptical machine and go chase some butterflies!



No comments:

Post a Comment