Saturday, January 29, 2011

Soccer, So You Think You Can Dance, & Alicia Silverstone

Let me start off by saying...THANK YOU. Thank you so much to all of you have encouraged me already! Posting this blog is one of the hardest things I've done....but so freeing as well. Thank you for helping me take these steps to a freer life!

While running errands yesterday I found a few treasures to help me along my way. First we stopped by the library. The library is a great resource that a lot of us rarely take advantage of. Come on people - FREE books & FREE movies! It's amazing. Well, I wanted to find a couple books on healthy cooking and nutrition. My first find was a cookbook focusing on fruits and veggies. Love this because I never know what to do with them. I rarely crave veggies and I when I do have them I get tired of having the same ones over and over. My go tos are usually broccoli and okra. So, I'm excited to see what this cookbook has to offer and will hopefully start introducing more (and a variety of) veggies & fruits to my diet. My second find was Alicia Silverstone's book - The Kind Diet. Now, she is pretty intense when it comes to nutrition. She's a vegan...so no meat, no dairy. However, she has a lot of great advice on living a healthier life - from body scrubs to recipes. I'd like to have at least one day (maybe 2) a week without meat (may even try vegan) so this will be a great resource. Next, I found 2 dvds that I'm really excited about - So You Think You Can Dance - Get Fit (Cardio Funk and Tone & Groove). I LOVE this show and I actually really enjoy dancing (by myself of course). My hope is to try a bunch of different exercises & activities. I get bored and burnt out on the same routine. My plan is to mix it up a lot. Sometimes I'll be on the elyptical machine, sometimes dancing, sometimes playing soccer in the backyard.

Which brings me to the next find. After the library we headed to Academy Sports. I wanted to just get inspired and maybe find some fun things for me and Michael to do together. So we picked up a soccer ball and cones for less than $10. We headed home...set it up in
the backyard and played a game! It was so much fun and we were exhausted about 5 minutes into it. What a workout! And he definitely kicked my hiney - 7 to 3. But this has sparked my competitive nature so I plan on doing some practicing on my own Monday while he's at work! :)

3 comments:

  1. great finds Mer! I need to take advantage of the library more often. most of the time I just go to get books for the kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I like the soccer game. Exercising does not have to be boring does it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! The soccer thing is a GREAT idea! I need to do that with Andrew. We play tennis sometimes and that helps us work up a sweat. Can't wait to get together!

    ReplyDelete